Widowed Friends Ltd. (“Widowed Friends”, “we”, “our”, “us”) recognizes the importance of your right to privacy and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose any personal information that individually identifies you (e.g. name, phone number, email address).
- What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Personal information means any information about an identifiable individual. Anonymous Data means data that is not associated with or linked to any individual’s personal information or will not easily permit the identification of an individual or individuals. Widowed Friends Ltd. does not consider personal information to include Anonymous Data.
The types of personal information that we may collect include, but are not limited to:
- your name;
- your address;
- your phone number;
- your email address;
- your emergency contact name and phone number
- your IP address; and
- personal information you give us that we did not request (such as personal information you voluntarily put into an email to us);
- your emergency contact’s name and phone number
- Purposes for Collecting Your Personal Information
We collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to provide you with our Services. We also collect, use and disclose your personal information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and as otherwise may be permitted or required by applicable laws. We will only use the personal information that we collect for the purposes for which it was collected. Specifically, we collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with our Services as requested by you;
- to establish and maintain responsible relationships with our members,
- to manage, develop and enhance Widowed Friends operations, programs and services;
- to acknowledge gifts, and other administrative requirements including information requests;
- to process and collect fees for service;
- to assess participant needs;
- to conduct participant satisfaction research;
- to determine program and service eligibility;
- to provide safe and secure Widowed Friends environments;
- to share impact stories of our members and volunteers;
- to collect data for statistical purposes;
- for administration, management, strategic planning, decision-making, research, and allocating of resources within the Widowed Friends;
- for fundraising and advertising;
- to respond to your questions that you send by email or through our Site;
- subject to applicable law, to provide you with newsletters and articles to notify you about other programs and services provided by Widowed Friends which may be of interest to you;
- to customise the appearance of the Site and Services displayed to you;
- to obtain your feedback regarding our Services, including through surveys;
- to track behavioural information on the Site to serve similar content upon future visits;
- to improve the Site and help us develop new services, apps, tools and Site features; and
- to meet any legal or regulatory requirements.
- When Do We Collect Personal Information?
We may collect your personal information when you voluntarily provide it to us by using our Site or Services. For example, we may ask you to provide personal information if you:
- use our Site or our Services;
- register, update, create or sign in to an account on our Site and our Services;
- send us a question or comment by email, social media or phone;
- post comments or other content on our Site or Services;
- register to receive newsletters, articles and updates about our Services; and
- otherwise participate in features of our Site or our Services that ask for personal information.
- Limiting Collection of Personal Information
- Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
We may use and disclose your personal information to service providers, data processors and other third parties (“Third Parties”) under the following limited circumstances:
- when necessary to protect our safety, property or other rights, our representatives, customers and users of the Site, including to detect and prevent fraud;
- with your consent; or
- when otherwise required or permitted by law.
In certain circumstances, personal information can be collected, used or disclosed without your consent. For instance, Widowed Friends may disclose personal information without your prior knowledge or consent:
- to a lawyer or other legal representative of the Widowed Friends;
- to a government body or agency in certain circumstances;
- to collect a debt, or comply with a subpoena, warrant or other court order; or
- in circumstances otherwise required or permitted by law.
We retain your personal information only for as long as we need it to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected (including as required by contract with a funding partner) or as required by law.
Widowed Friends will maintain schedules for records retention and destruction, which apply to personal information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes for collection, or required to be retained by law or under contract. Such information shall be securely destroyed, erased or rendered anonymous.
- Data Processors in Other Country
As discussed in Article 5, we may engage Third Parties to perform certain services on our behalf and to otherwise provide the Services. These Third Parties may store, process and transfer personal information on servers located outside of Canada in jurisdictions whose data protection laws may differ from those of Canada, such as the United States of America. As a result, personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to the laws in those jurisdictions. For example, information may be shared in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts and law enforcement officials in those countries. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require our Third Parties to maintain protections on personal information that are equivalent to those that apply in Canada.
- Links to Other Sites
- Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Similar Technology
As you interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technology and services that record and collect information that identifies your computer, tracks your use of our Site and collects certain other information about you and your surfing habits. This data collection technology may include cookies, web beacons and other similar devices on this Site to enhance functionality and navigation for our visitors. This technology does not personally identify you or extract any information from your computer. Data which would personally identify you is known only when voluntarily submitted.
A cookie is a small data file that is placed on the hard drive of your computer so that your computer will “remember” information when you visit a site. Web beacons and tags are small strings of code that are used in conjunction with a cookie and allow us to record activity on our Site. Internet tags, graphic tags and similar web beacon type functions allow us to count the number of users who have visited a particular web page or to access certain cookies. We may use web beacons on this Site to count users and to recognize users by accessing our cookies. Being able to access our cookies allows us to personalize our Site and improve your experience at our Site. We may also include web beacons in HTML-formatted email messages that we send to determine which email messages were opened.
Information tracked through these mechanisms includes, but is not limited to:
- your IP address;
- the type of web browser and operating system being used;
- the pages of the Site a user visits; and
- other sites a user visited before visiting our Site.
We may also employ cookies and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to collect information about your use of, and activities on, our Site for our use but also for use by third parties that serve advertisements about Widowed Friends on other sites you may visit. For instance, we may use third party service providers, such as Google AdSense or AdWords, to serve advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These advertising service providers may collect information about your visits to our Site, and your interactions with our services. In addition to the information about your visits to our Site, such advertising service providers may also use the information about your visits to other sites to target advertisements for services available from Widowed Friends.
You can set your internet browser up so that you are notified when cookies are stored, you can decide in each individual case whether you want to accept cookies, or you can refuse to accept any cookies. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may be restricted in how you are able to use our Site. You can delete cookies which are already stored on your hard disk at any time. You will find more details on how to do this in the operating guide for your Internet browser program.
- Third Party Analytics
Our Site uses third party analytics services such as Google Analytics, a web analytics service of Google, Inc. (“Google“).
Google Analytics uses “cookies” to analyze how you use our Site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of our Site (including your IP address) is sent to a Google server in the U.S. and stored there. Google will use this information to evaluate your use of our Site, compile reports on Site activity for our Site operators and to provide other site activity related internet services. Additionally, Google may transfer this information to a third party when required by law or in the case of a third-party processing information on Google’s behalf. In no case will Google use your IP address in connection with any other information held by Google. You can set your internet browser to prohibit the installation of cookies, although we must point out that some features and functions of our Site will then be unusable. By using our Site, you consent to the processing of data about you collected by Google in the manner described and for the above mentioned purpose. The consent for collection and storage of data can be withdrawn at any time in the future by clicking on the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en. Given the debate concerning the use of analytical tools using full IP addresses, we wish to point out that our Site uses the “Anonymize IP” function of Google Analytics which works with a shortened form of IP addresses to avoid direct personal identification.
Furthermore, we use the cookies to carry out frequency assessments, page usage assessments and marketing assessments. For the aforementioned assessments, we utilize this cookie information without a link to your personal information, so it is completely anonymous.
All Widowed Friends Directors, Organizers and volunteers with access to information are required, to respect the confidentiality of personal information and protect personal information in their control (regardless of format) against such risks as loss or theft, or unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction, through appropriate security safeguards.
Safeguards may include physical measures (such as locked doors or locked file cabinets), organizational measures (limited access) and technological measures (such as passwords and anti-virus software for computer systems).
Any personal information that you provide to us through our Site is exchanged on a secure server. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
Personal information shared with a third party for processing shall be protected through contractual agreements with requirements for confidentiality and appropriate safeguards.
- Payment Information
We do not collect any payment information from you. We use commercially reasonable efforts to select an appropriate company to maintain the confidentiality and security of your payment information. When you make a payment on our Site, you will be directed to a third party provider website.
- Electronic Communications
We comply with Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) and we will not send you electronic communications in contravention of this law. As part of signing up to receive our Services, you may have also opted in to receive email communications from us. If you opted-in to receive such communications, we may use the information to communicate with you regarding our Services, provide you with other information that you request, and/or improve our service offerings.
You will always have the opportunity to “unsubscribe” from receiving any of our email or other communications at any time and we will ensure that our emails include instructions on how to unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive future emails from us. We provide an on-going opportunity to unsubscribe or opt-out of contact by us by accessing our Site or by email to email@example.com.
- User Content in Comments, Chat Rooms and Message Boards
- Terms and Conditions
- How to Contact Us
We welcome your feedback.