Chicken and Orzo with Spinach and Feta
Healthy pasta for two.
- 10 inch non stick skillet or a wok.
- 3/4 cup orzo Small pasta found in many grocery stores
- 2 6-8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups reduced salt chicken broth more may be needed
- 4 oz baby spinach appx 4 cups, washed
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled appx 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Toast orzo in a dry skillet over medium high until golden, 3-5 minutes and transfer to a bowl.
- Pat chicken dry and season lightly with salt and pepper
- Heat one teaspoon oil in skillet on medium high heat and brown chicken lightly, 3-4 minutes per side and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to skillet and cook garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and toasted orzo.
- Nestle chicken pieces into the skillet mix, lower heat to medium low and simmer until it registers 160, approximately 10 minutes.
- Move chicken to a serving platter
- Continue to cook orzo stirring in additional broth 1 tablespoon at a time until soft and creamy.
- Stir in spinach, cook until wilted and then stir in feta cheese and lemon juice.
- Serve the chicken on top of the orzo spinach mix.