Butternut Squash Soup with Roasted Pears and Rosemary
A lovely presentation for guests.
- Dutch oven with a lid
- Roasting sheet
- Food processor or blender
- 1 butternut squash appx 3 lbs
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 2 sprigs rosemary one finely chopped,
- 3 anjou or bartlett pears
- 4 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Peel the squash, cut in half half lengthwise, scroop out seeds and cut each half crosswise with slices 1/4 inch thick.
- In a Dutch oven melt 1 Tbsp of the butter with the oil over medium heat adding the onion and sauteeing until it begins to brown, appx 7 min.
- Add the squash, the stock, the rosemary sprig to the pot and simmer until squash is tender, appx 20 min.
- Preheat the oven to 400, melt the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter and stir in 2 tsp of the brown sugar. Peel the pears, cut in half lengthwise, core and cut each half into 1/4 inch slices. Then toss the pears in the butter, sugar mixture.
- Put the pear slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the finely chopped rosemary and gently roast, turning halfway, appx 7 minutes. Chop half the pear slices and set aside.
- Remove the rosemary sprig from the cooled butternut squash and puree in a blender or food processor.
- When blended add the last 2 tsp of brown sugar, the half & half, salt and pepper to taste and heat soup through.
- Put some chopped pear into each serving bowl of soup and lay some pear slices on top to serve.