At the start of a New Year, it’s nice to think of starting off fresh. “This year I’m going to strive to live better, feel better, be better.” It’s why there’s so much talk about making positive changes to our lives at the beginning of a new year. These bursts of hope and optimism, things to look forward to and things to work towards are what helps keep us moving forward.
Such optimism and hope are particularly needed these days especially in the winter, with so much chaos in the world as well Covid and other illnesses lurking around still.
It is possible to think of 2023 in a hopeful way, though. We suggest you make positive thoughts, daily affirmations, and intentional moments of joy a high priority for you each day.
The power of daily affirmations
Affirmations are short, simple, yet powerful statements that help to assert
something, so it becomes true in your subconscious mind (sort of like making your sub-conscious thoughts, conscious). Some refer to them as “anti-resolutions” because each one gives you an opportunity to identify some of the ways you’ve been making your own life harder, and then use that awareness to stop doing (at least one of) those things. Positive affirmations are used to challenge negative or unhelpful thoughts.
How to pick and use daily affirmations
Choose words or phrases that have deep meaning and resonate within you. Practicing simple affirmations can bring positive changes in your life and boost your self esteem.
Most people select an affirmation first thing in the morning. Perhaps write the word or phrase in your journal or put it on a post-it note. Repeat it out loud (or repeat it intentionally in your head). Think about it for a moment with the idea that you are going to carry this thought, or several ones through the day with you.
Here are a few examples to consider:
- I am enough
- I choose to be happy
- I believe in myself and trust my judgement
- I am grateful for my many blessings.
- I am kind with all beings including myself.
- I release angry thoughts and feelings of worry
- I am resilient, strong and brave
- I will make myself a priority this year.
- I will find joy today in something that is meaningful to me
- I understand that feelings are natural. I will let myself cry. I will also let myself laugh.
- I will let go of “shoulds” even if it means having to say “no”.
- I will listen to my inner wisdom and honour my intentions
- I will make achievable lists so I can celebrate small victories along the way.
- I embrace my courage to continue to learn new things.
- I will love myself unconditionally.
Daily moments of joy
Daily affirmations move us forward one step at a time, which can make a big difference over the long term. In the same way, daily moments of joy, no matter how small, can bring inner peace and comfort. These are personal to you – no joy is too small.
Remember to be kind and flexible with yourself. Celebrate any, and all affirmations you make along the way. Find happiness wherever you can.
Sending love and peace to all.